Re: PL/Java issues

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PL/Java issues
Date: 2004-01-02 06:09:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-jdbc

Jan Wieck wrote:

> The basic question is the definition of the lifetime of an object and
> it's identificaition when doing nested calls in this context. In the
> OO world, ideally a real world object is translated into one instance
> of a class. And complex structures are trees of instances, possibly of
> different classes. As an example, a sales order consists of the order
> header and a variable number of order lines. Therefore, per order we
> have one OH instance and several OL's. So far so good. Naturally, one
> Java object instance would correspond to one row in a database.

It's not clear to me that this object <--> row mapping is workable. It
looks like Oracle, by allowing only static methods, has basically
abandoned any possibility of it.

ISTM that if you want to live in the object world, you have to take care
of marshalling and unmarshalling the data yourself - either by manual
methods or using some of the increasingly sophisticated automated tools
that are available. OTOH, if you want to live in the table world, you
have to live without the hard ties between data in different tables that
the object world wants. PL/Java must surely live in the table world.

IOW, the Java interface would probably need to function in a fairly
similar way to the way the current C interface does.

Or have I missed something?

Also, what does the Standard say about all this? Has anyone actually
seen it?

cheers

andrew