Re: website doc search is extremely SLOW

From: "D(dot) Dante Lorenso" <dante(at)lorenso(dot)com>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: website doc search is extremely SLOW
Date: 2003-12-31 03:39:40
Lists: pgsql-general

Marc G. Fournier wrote:

>On Mon, 29 Dec 2003, D. Dante Lorenso wrote:
>
>>Trying to use the 'search' in the docs section of PostgreSQL.org
>>is extremely SLOW. Considering this is a website for a database
>>and databases are supposed to be good for indexing content, I'd
>>expect a much faster performance.
>>

>What is the full URL for the page you are looking at? Just the 'search
>link' at the top of the page?
>

>>Perhaps this should be worked on?
>>

>Looking into it right now ...

http://www.postgresql.org/ *click Docs on top of page*
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/ * click PostgreSQL static
documentation *

Search this document set: [ SECURITY INVOKER ] Search!

http://www.postgresql.org/search.cgi?ul=http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/&q=SECURITY+INVOKER

I loaded that URL on IE and I wait like 2 minutes or more for a response.
then, it usually returns with 1 result. I click the Search! button again
to refresh and it came back a little faster with 0 results?

Searched again from the top and it's a little faster now:

* click search *
> date
Wed Dec 31 22:52:01 CST 2003

* results come back *
> date
Wed Dec 31 22:52:27 CST 2003

Still one result:

PostgreSQL 7.4 Documentation (SQL Key Words)
<http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/sql-keywords-appendix.html>
[*0.087%*]
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/sql-keywords-appendix.html
Size: 65401 bytes, modified: Tue, 25 Nov 2003, 15:02:33 AST

However, the page that I SHOULD have found was this one:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/sql-createfunction.html

That page has SECURITY INVOKER in a whole section:

[EXTERNAL] SECURITY INVOKER
[EXTERNAL] SECURITY DEFINER

SECURITY INVOKER indicates that the function is to be executed with
the privileges of the user that calls it. That is the default.
SECURITY DEFINER specifies that the function is to be executed with
the privileges of the user that created it.

Dante

D. Dante Lorenso
dante(at)lorenso(dot)com