Restrict users from describing table

From: Michael Gill <mgill(at)pointdx(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Restrict users from describing table
Date: 2003-12-30 09:53:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello,

I've tried asking this question elsewhere and have not received a
satisfactory response.

I want to restrict users of my packaged database from directly accessing
the data or reading the schema. I would provide access to the read-only
data through functions (which works well in PG). I find that \d will
expose the structure even though the user can't select:

movies=> \d codeset.first_table
Table "codeset.first_table"
Column | Type | Modifiers
--------+---------+-----------
col1 | integer |
col2 | integer |

movies=> select * from codeset.first_table;
ERROR: permission denied for schema codeset

Is there any way to hide the structure from a particular user. I can't
use Postgresql if I can't encapsulate our intellectual property.

Thanks,
Michael Gill

mgill(at)pointdx(dot)com
mydba(at)usa(dot)com