Re: Is my MySQL Gaining ?

From: Ericson Smith <eric(at)did-it(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general (at) postgresql (dot) org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Is my MySQL Gaining ?
Date: 2003-12-29 14:40:38
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

A documentation system like the one over at http://php.net, would be
fantastic for Postgresql. There could be lookups based on SQL commands,
Functions, and Sitewide Searches. This alone would go a long way to
expose PHP to "the masses".

In terms of using MySQL or Postgresql, lets all face it, most data
storage work could be easily and efficiently handled by text files,
since there needs to be just infrequent inserts and updates, and mostly
reads. The majority of interfaces exposed on the web follow this
paradigm, and include:
* Content management
* Catalogs
* Shopping cart stuff
* User management

Yes, our powerful and easy to use PG can do all of that too, but SQLite,
Sleepycat DBM files and MySQL can do it as well. There are going to be
even more migrations for Oracle to MySQL than from Oracle to PG, because
so many of those Oracle installations were overkill in the first place.
Our place is in that hoary back end that runs the world, the un-sexy
part of any organization that no one outside of the Development team, or
System Administrators know about.

Getting mindshare is a different problem. That requires PG to have a
full time effective press person. This press person would need to be in
touch with the press constantly to tell them things like:
* PG is a great back for windows clients using ODBC/MS Access/Excel
* PG is a "real" database comparable to Oracle
* PG costs nothing
* Free support is fabulous, and paid support is available
* Development is constant

In the end, I believe that PG needs to move into an organizational
structure so that its considerable assets can be fully realized, its
wonderful developers may be fully compensated, and commercial users (our
bread and butter), can have an official place to help sponsor features
of the system and so on. All this is more than a website. Someone posted
pictures of the PG booth at a show recently. It was nice, but there was
this one sad guy shrouded in darkness -- I felt depressed, because
that's how PG advocacy felt.

Warm regards,
Ericson Smith
DBA/Developer
+-----------------------+----------------------------+
| http://www.did-it.com | "When I'm paid, I always |
| eric(at)did-it(dot)com | follow the job through. |
| 516-255-0500 | You know that." -Angel Eyes|
+-----------------------+----------------------------+

Karsten Hilbert wrote:

>>I'm in a similar situation. My app is currently PG-only (although I
>>_might_ be able to get it work with Firebird eventually). Currently I have
>>to sell Linux to prospective clients in addition to my app. A native
>>Windows version would make my life a bit easier.
>>

>Same here.
>
>Our "clients" use legacy medical office software that 99% runs
>on Windows. We offer add-ons (tailored mini-versions of our
>main application :-) and thus get OSS (Python, PostgreSQL,
>wxWindows, sometimes Linux itself) into their offices and onto
>their networks. Most of the time the main difficulty is to figure
>out how to offer PostgreSQL in their environment (yes, we know
>about CygWin).
>
>("clients" because we don't do business as in selling stuff)
>
>Karsten Hilbert, MD
>
>www.gnumed.org

Attachment Content-Type Size
eric.vcf text/x-vcard 315 bytes