Re: Is my MySQL Gaining ?

From: Gianni Mariani <gianni(at)mariani(dot)ws>
To: johnsw(at)wardbrook(dot)com
Cc: Chris Travers <chris(at)travelamericas(dot)com>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, aspire420(at)hotpop(dot)com, pgsql-advocay(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is my MySQL Gaining ?
Date: 2003-12-27 20:26:57
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

John Sidney-Woollett wrote:

>Why is everyone so concerned about how Postgres is product-placed compared
>to MySQL? Do you really care whether users prefer MySQL or Postgres?

It's a natural frustration stemming from watching our fellow humans toil
needlessly. This is a study of human psycology that we all do to some
extent and when we see our value of "better product should be rewarded
more than a lesser product" there are cracks in the foundations of our
motives.

>Why don't you just focus on your growing Postgres userbase, the core
>product, and keep refining it (as you are). Granted you need to keep
>looking around to see what other DB's offer, and keep the product fresh
>and current.

Understanding the competition is usually neccessary to achieve this.

>I just have to add that Postgres (the db, and the postgres community) is
>GREAT! I'm sold on it!

Agreed.