Re: TODO list

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Postgresql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: TODO list
Date: 2003-12-17 22:13:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jonathan Gardner wrote:

>>Marko Zmak wrote:
>>

>>>I've been usin psql for quite a long time and I found it to be very
>>>comfortable. Since some web providers in my country refuse to put psql
>>>while some thing are still in psql TODO list, I'm interested in
>>>following...
>>>

>>>I'd like to know when are you planning to deal with this TODO item:
>>>
>>>Allow limits on per-db/user connections
>>>
>>>I would appreciate if it was as soon as possible. Thanks.
>>>

>>I know of no one working on this feature.
>>

>Is this something a someone who is new to PostgreSQL development can
>attempt? Does someone already have a design planned out?

Before we even get there we need agreement on exactly what it means :-)

Seems like the best place for the settings might be pg_hba.conf.

Say we have a new keyword "limit" there. Here are the possibilities (I
think):

case 1 - limit username's connections to dbname:
limit dbname username n
case2 - limit username's connections regardless of database:
limit all username n
case 3 - limit all users' connections to dbname:
limit dbname all n
case 4 - limit username's connections to any particular database:
limit any username n
case 5 - limit all users' connections to any particular database:
limit any all n
case 6 - limit all users' connections regardless of database:
limit all all n

Would we want to bother about cases 4 and 5? Are the semantics of case 6
what we want?

Once the behaviour is agreed, (based on my recent experience) I think
this is something that might well be attempted by someone new to Pg
development. If you ask questions you will get plenty of help.

cheers

andrew