Re: Returning arbitrary row sets from a function

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: Gerard Mason <gerardmason(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Returning arbitrary row sets from a function
Date: 2003-12-16 18:23:41
Lists: pgsql-novice

Gerard Mason wrote:
> Well, is it possible to run two different versions of postgresql
> side-by-side on the same machine? I don't want to end up with a
> non-working database just because I've made some stupid mistake
> installing a new version, and then find that I can't revert back to the
> old one either.

Is the original installed from source, or from some sort of package? If
the latter, reverting should be easy. Just make sure you save a copy of
the old data directory off to the side somewhere (taken *after* dumping
and shutting down the old postmaster).

> Is it at least possible to have two different versions installed
> side-by-side, even if you can only have one running at a time?

You can, but it's tricky to get it right.

Joe