Re: [ADMIN] FoxPro Vs. PostgreSQL

From: pginfo <pginfo(at)t1(dot)unisoftbg(dot)com>
To: aspire420(at)hotpop(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] FoxPro Vs. PostgreSQL
Date: 2003-12-15 06:05:09
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general

Hi,

Sai Hertz And Control Systems wrote:

> Dear Ivan ,
>
>> > Hello all ,
>> >
>> > I am a OpenSource S/W developer and my clients are from remote part
>> > of
>> > Himachal Pradesh India.
>> > I am providing my clients,
>> > software
>> > Build on PostgreSQL 7.3.x as backed
>> > and yes , they (clients) ought to save a lot while using my
>> > software as
>> > it runs on Linux
>> >
>> Not in all cases :). Probably you will pay much more for linux
>> support.
>>

> I Smell burned Fingers :-D
> Please share your experience as this will help me a bit .

Ok,pg advantages (depends from the application also):
- triggers (you can write it also in "C". It will be fast and is not
possible for FoxPro).
- user defined data types
- support (the mailing list is supper. You will have the best possible
support and bug fix ).
- support very good the SQL spec.
- fast (if you can write good SQL).
- you can use it for very big db-s.
- cost. I will compare the cost with oracle, not with FoxPro.And Pg is
free.

FoxPro advantages (and pg disadvantages):
- you can run it on win 98, win 2K and so on. So you can use it also for
small apps. It will change when native port for pg arrives.
- MS marketing.
- integrated visual tools and dev. tools. It is good for small apps.
only.

>> > To Add More :
>> > My Clients are Agriculture Banks and cannot afford the M$ tools.
>> > and yes
>> > all the Win98 installation on their computers are
>> > pirated.
>> >

>> I think you can do nothink for it and it is not your problem.
>>
> Problem may be not mine but I can at least make someone concern to it.
>
> Why I am saying so is , because piracy fighters have pushed many to
> Open Source :-*
>
> Regards,
> V Kashyap

Regards,ivan.