Re: [ADMIN] FoxPro Vs. PostgreSQL

From: pginfo <pginfo(at)t1(dot)unisoftbg(dot)com>
To: aspire420(at)hotpop(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] FoxPro Vs. PostgreSQL
Date: 2003-12-14 14:34:46
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general

Hi,

Sai Hertz And Control Systems wrote:

> Hello all ,
>
> I am a OpenSource S/W developer and my clients are from remote part of
> Himachal Pradesh India.
> I am providing my clients,
> software
> Build on PostgreSQL 7.3.x as backed
> and yes , they (clients) ought to save a lot while using my software as
> it runs on Linux

Not in all cases :).Probably you will pay much more for linux support.

> But theirs one Prick Our Competitor he is providing solution in what else
> FoxPro + Win98
> and this competitor justifies his software as Superior because some of
> the Indian local banks use this
> clumsy set of tool to manage their bureaucratic banking work system.

FoxPro is the MS db solution, but it is not as good as MS SQL.You can compare
pg with MS SQL, but not with FoxPro.
Pg is much better.
I think all depends from how good is your application.
If it is small app. I think FoxPro will also be good.
I think pg is very stable and good db.
For me it is comparable with oracle (not so good, but...).

> What I want is some support from this good community to give me some
> 1. Tips
> 2. Links
> 3. Advise
> for FoxPro and its limits (As could be told to a layman)

You can visit the FoxPro page and read the limitations.Pls. read about the
transactions, triggers, user defined data types (if you will use it),
rules, views.
All this is important for one db.
or example MS Access do not support very good transactions.

> as how to crush my competitor for M$ tools,
> Its time to prove The M$ Guys that they have $$$$$ Power and we the GNU
> people have a
> social perspective of doing work.
>
> Would be greatefull for all your Comments / Bashing and yes Support

> To Add More :
> My Clients are Agriculture Banks and cannot afford the M$ tools. and yes
> all the Win98 installation on their computers are
> pirated.

I think you can do nothink for it and it is not your problem.

> Regards,
> V Kashyap

regards,
ivan.