Re: Alter Column Position

From: Nabil Sayegh <postgresql(at)e-trolley(dot)de>
To: Derrick Betts <Derrick(at)grifflink(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Alter Column Position
Date: 2003-12-10 12:16:21
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-novice

Derrick Betts wrote:
> I have a table with 10,000 rows. We have an application that parses a *.csv
> file and uploads the data to the database table. The csv parser takes the
> column numbers form the csv file and matches the column numbers to the field
> positions in the DB table.
>
> Now, I have to change the position of a column in the DB to match the csv
> parser. I have a column in position 28 that I need to move to position 7.
>
> Anyone know how to do that?

You could DROP and re-CREATE the table.

CREATE TABLE tmp AS SELECT col1, col3, col2 FROM mytab;
DROP TABLE mytab;
ALTER TABLE tmp RENAME TO mytab;

_BUT_: You need to take care of special cases like UNIQUE & FOREIGN KEYs
etc., i.e. usually you need a better CREATE clause than this easy example.

> Thanks,
> Derrick

HTH
--