Multiple clean installs: get same error of "invalid length of startup packet"

From: Jon Mountjoy <jmountjoy(at)lifescienceinformatics(dot)com>
To: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Multiple clean installs: get same error of "invalid length of startup packet"
Date: 2004-04-03 14:07:32
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Hi All,

I've installed new version of cygwin twice now, on two different
machines. I am using the latest build. On the one, I simply did
"Install from Internet", on the other "Download from Internet" and then
later install. So both have a fresh cygwin, and a fresh postgres.

After installing postgres, I fail to connect to it, and get error
messages on the server. For example, if I run it (from the command
line) with the "-i" argument, and try to connect with "psql template1"
then I get:

LOG: invalid length of startup packet
DEBUG: proc_exit(0)
DEBUG: shmem_exit(0)
DEBUG: exit(0)
DEBUG: reaping dead processes
DEBUG: child process (PID 1948) exited with exit code 0

(Here, I have run postmaster with the debug level set to 5).

The client simply says:
psql: server closed the connection unexpectedly. This probably means
the server terminated abnormally before or while processing the
request.

I get the same if I run postmaster without the -i.

If I run postmaster with -i, and then try to connect using: psql -h
localhost template1 then I get the same error on the server, but the
client instead says "psql:could not receive server response to SSL
negotiation packet: Connection reset by peer"./

Any pointers? The fact that this happens on two different machines is
odd. When I use an OLD cygwin installation that I have lying around,
it works fine...

I've included output of cygcheck -c below. Running on windows 2000.

TIA,
Jon

$ cygcheck -c
Cygwin Package Information