Re: PostgreSQL Advocacy, Thoughts and Comments

From: Alex Satrapa <alex(at)lintelsys(dot)com(dot)au>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Advocacy, Thoughts and Comments
Date: 2003-12-04 07:33:37
Lists: pgsql-general

Chris Travers wrote:

> Here is a paper I have written for the purposes of providing some
> additional educational material for the MySQL crowd.

Here's my contribution:

Why I choose PostgreSQL (PostgreSQL in 21 Seconds)

I choose referential integrity, meaning my lookups always work.

I choose stored procedures, meaning all my developers - Windows or Unix,
Perl, C++ or Java - can access the database in the same way, using the
same locking, with the same checking and cleaning

I choose subselects and outer joins, which allow me to build complex
queries to get exactly the information I want from the database, rather
than wasting my time munging data in my code. Even better, I can put
those common queries into stored procedures, so other developers can get
the same results as I do!

I choose partial indexes, so lookups on NULL fields are just as fast if
not faster.

I choose a user community that believes getting the results right is
more important than getting them quickly.

I choose getting the right results, right now!

I choose funny capitalisation, and a name that can't be pronounced!

I choose PostgreSQL.