Re: Triggers, Stored Procedures, PHP. was: Re: PostgreSQL

From: Tony <tony(at)unihost(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Triggers, Stored Procedures, PHP. was: Re: PostgreSQL
Date: 2003-11-29 17:46:00
Lists: pgsql-general

I agree... as a newcomer to PG from MySQL and a web hosting provider, PG
is no more difficult to admin than MySQL IMHO. Just requires a little
understanding. But with tools like PGAdmin, even the understanding
required is reduced.

I beleive that MySQL just achieved a snowball effect, and that's just
the way it happened. PG is easy to install. Although one hold-up has
to be the fact that I for instance can't run PG on my works laptop that
runs XP (without significant hassle). My laptop is where I prototype
all of my applications (if I am able) and my life would be sooo much
easier if I could run a PG server alongside my various other bits of
IDE. I tend to be a little more tenacious than most, I'm sure if I find
it hassle, then others do too. Many developers that I know of, use a
windows machine and dev tools, to develop what will eventually be a Unix
app. Just easier that way sometimes.

Credit cards are easy to use, in fact their darn difficult not to use.
MySQL is similar to this, when they announce a new release, the release
is available not only as source, but .exe and a dozen other platforms
all waiting to be used. So it's a really easy decsion to make if you
know that you can run your DB anywhere. Install it from RPM, or .exe.

Just my 2 cents again.

T.