Re: pg_restore and create FK without verification check

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: ow <oneway_111(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_restore and create FK without verification check
Date: 2003-11-27 17:14:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

ow wrote:

>I'd like to emphasize again that NOT having an index on the FK column is a
>perfectly valid approach, despite some opinions to the contrary.

OW, you might insist that there are several cases when an index is not
needed, but I didn't propose to create the index automatically (this
really shouldn't happen), but merely to send a NOTICE to the user so he
can check if he maybe eventually by chance in doubt should create an
index. Databases will certainly suffer much more from missing indexes
than from too many indexes.

Regards,
Andreas