Associating client PIDs with backend PIDs

From: Rich Cullingford <rculling(at)sysd(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Associating client PIDs with backend PIDs
Date: 2003-11-24 16:55:07
Lists: pgsql-admin

All,
This is a pretty obvious question, but I can't find an answer in the
standard docs/archive: if I have an installation in which there are a
number of long-running client processes interacting (one-on-one) with
backend processes, how do I find the associations? I can see the client
PIDs in an appropriate 'ps' (grepping on the client program name, for
example), and the backend PIDs in the standard queries or pgmonitor. But
I can't tell which goes with which (except by trying to infer the
association by looking at the query that's running -- assuming I can
catch it).

Thanks for any help,
Rich Cullingford
rculling(at)sysd(dot)com