Re: Open source data modeling tools for PostgreSQL

From: Alex Satrapa <alex(at)lintelsys(dot)com(dot)au>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Open source data modeling tools for PostgreSQL
Date: 2003-11-23 22:25:10
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-interfaces

Markus Seibold wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am looking for an open source (free) data modeling tool for PostgreSQL.
>
> It should - if possible - support:
> - E-R-Modelling
> - relational data model / modeling
> - (GUI SQL interface to the database)
> - platform independence (Win32, Mac, Unix/Linux)
>
> Does anybody know some tools that match my criteria?

There's apparently a tool called Umbrello, though it is a KDE-specific
toolkit, it apparently uses an XML format that's common to UML modellers.

http://uml.sourceforge.net/index.php

I know this isn't platform independent, but perhaps the XML format is
"portable" between UML modelling applications that are available on Windows?

That, or run Umbrello on a Un*x box, using the built-in Aqua X11 tool on
Mac OS X, the Free software XFree86/KDE3 on Un*x or a commercial product
like XWin32 for Windows (there's probably a XFree86 version available
for Cygwin under Windows if you look).

HTH
Alex