Re: Release cycle length

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Release cycle length
Date: 2003-11-19 14:33:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>
>> The time from release 7.3 to release 7.4 was 355 days, an all-time high.
>> We really need to shorten that. We already have a number of significant
>> improvements in 7.5 now, and several good ones coming up in the next few
>> weeks. We cannot let people wait 1 year for that. I suggest that we aim
>> for a 6 month cycle, consisting of approximately 4 months of development
>> and 2 months of cleanup. So the start of the next beta could be the 1st
>> of March. What do you think?
>
> That is the usual goal *nod* Same goal we try for each release, and never
> quite seem to get there ... we'll try 'yet again' with v7.5 though, as we
> always do :)

I don't see much of a point for a shorter release cycle as long as we
don't get rid of the initdb requirement for releases that don't change
the system catalog structure. All we gain from that is spreading out the
number of different versions used in production.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #