Re: logical column position

From: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com, Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: logical column position
Date: 2003-11-19 01:45:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>>Will adding the logical attribute number break all of the external
>>tools? pg_dump, etc are all dependent on attnum now?
>>
>>Would it be possible to keep the meaning of attnum the same externally
>>and add another column internally to represent the physical number?
>

> Interesting idea. It would require a lot of code renaming in the
> backend, but it could be done.

Given that the interfaces comprise pgadmin, phppgadmin, jdbc and odbc
and all the main developers for those lists read all these posts, I
think the massive amount of effort to maintain the external interface
isn't worth it.

I can vouch that it would take me exactly 2 minutes to add support for
attlognums in phpPgAdmin.

Chris