Re: What do you want me to do?

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Postgresql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: What do you want me to do?
Date: 2003-11-07 20:28:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Marc G. Fournier wrote:

>On Fri, 7 Nov 2003, Robert Treat wrote:
>

>>I know most people have talked about using bugzilla, but is anyone
>>familiar with GNATS? I'm currently rereading Open Sources and there's a
>>paragraph or two mentioning it's use and the fact that it can be
>>interfaced with completely by email.
>>

>FreeBSD uses it almost exclusively and it supports email interaction with
>the database, but I don't think there are very many good GUI front ends
>for it (or, at least, not that I've seen) ...

No.

A few other thoughts:
. the Samba team have apparently abandoned their own tool and moved to
bugzilla
. if we used bugzilla this might give some impetus to the bugzilla
team's efforts to provide pg as a backend (maybe we could help with that)
. it would seem slightly strange to me for an RDBMS project to use a bug
tracking system that was not RDBMS-backed
. developers are far more likely to be familiar with bugzilla
. are there any active developers without web access? If not, why is
pure email interaction important?

Bugzilla is far from perfect. But it's getting better.

cheers

andrew