Re: Information Schema and constraint names not unique

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Postgresql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Information Schema and constraint names not unique
Date: 2003-11-07 15:00:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:

>Tom Lane wrote:
>

>>Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl> writes:

>>>It certainly _is_ unique within a schema ...
>>>(But what happens to the constraint name when the table is renamed?)
>>>

>>Exactly. Also consider manually-assigned constraint names that happen
>>to look like "foo_$n" --- these could cause trouble if table foo is
>>created later. To make a guarantee of uniqueness would require more
>>infrastructure than just a simple hack of the constraint name generator
>>logic.
>>
>>BTW we also have some problems with auto-generated names for column
>>constraints; these generally look like "tablename_columnname", and
>>that's not unique:
>>
>>regression=# create table foo (f1 int check (f1 > 0) check (f1 < 10));
>>ERROR: check constraint "foo_f1" already exists
>>

>Is this a TODO to fix?

I think there are several of them from this thread:

. make autogenerated column constraint names unique per table (by adding
"_$n" ?)
. add tableoid or tablename to information_schema.{check_constraints,
referential_constraints} (I think those are the only places where it
would be needed, from my quick skimming).
. add tableoid or tablename to autogenerated table constraint names

Is that a fair summary of discussion so far?

(My take)
Using tableoid instead of tablename avoids renaming problems, but makes
the names horribly opaque IMNSHO. I know I've been annoyed from an
aesthetic POV more than once by the "$1" thing.

cheers

andrew