Re: Committing Resources to Win32

From: Marsh Ray <marsh-pg(at)mysteray(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Committing Resources to Win32
Date: 2003-11-07 11:45:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

Claudio Natoli wrote:

>> Specifically, I believe and through conversations with several Win32
>>

>programmers I know, that using create process is a bad idea and that we
>should move to a threaded model (at least for Win32).
>
>CreateProcess appears to be the method the core developers have decided
>upon. Unfortunately, and speaking from experience, unless either the
>decision to use MingW as a build environment is reviewed (as opposed to
>VC++, for instance), or MingW "soon" supports thread local storage
>declspecs, a threaded implementation would be just too difficult to
>integrate cleanly with the existing source base.

I'm trying to understand this. Is it that the existing code references
static data in so many places that it impractical to move all that into
a structures?

You could put a structure high up on the stack of each thread and pass
down a pointer to it, or use a hash on thread id to reference the data.
Structuring those globals would probably flush out some, er,
"undocumented enhancements".

It looks like the Apache group put a lot of work into modularizing their
execution model for their 2.0.x. It has certainly made their app a
serious choice under Windows.

- Marsh