Re: OSDL DBT-2 w/ PostgreSQL 7.3.4 and 7.4beta5

From: Manfred Spraul <manfred(at)colorfullife(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: markw(at)osdl(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, osdldbt-general(at)lists(dot)sourceforge(dot)net
Subject: Re: OSDL DBT-2 w/ PostgreSQL 7.3.4 and 7.4beta5
Date: 2003-11-01 13:37:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>markw(at)osdl(dot)org writes:
>

>>7.4beta5 offers more throughput. One significant difference I see is in
>>the oprofile for the database. For the additional 7% increase in the
>>metric, there are about 32% less ticks in SearchCatCache.
>>

>Hmm. I have been profiling PG for some years now, and I cannot remember
>ever seeing a profile in which SearchCatCache topped everything else
>(the usual suspects for me are palloc/pfree support code). Can you give
>any explanation why it looks like that? Can your profiling code tell
>where the hotspot call sites of SearchCatCache are?

If I understand the docs correctly, op_to_source -a can do that - the
result is annotated assembly, with percentage numbers for each
instruction. If the sources were compiled with -g2, even source level
annotation is possible.

Mark, do you still have the oprofile output? I don't understand why so
much time is spent in the kernel signal handlers, i.e. I could use
annotated assembly or source of linux/kernel/signal.c.

--
Manfred