Re: setting up the user postgres on mac osx

From: Jeffrey Melloy <jmelloy(at)visualdistortion(dot)org>
To: Byron Amerson <byronea(at)u(dot)washington(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: setting up the user postgres on mac osx
Date: 2003-10-31 22:38:44
Lists: pgsql-novice

Byron Amerson wrote:

>I have several mac osx specific questions related to postgresql.
>background info: an apparently successful build of postgres 7.4beta5 on an
>imac with osx 10.3. readline by fink in the standard fink directory /sw
>
>1. What is the best way to set up a new user for use by PostgreSQL? Via
>accounts on the preferences panel, netinfo, or at the command line with
>niutil? So far I am having marginal luck with netinfo. Basically, where
>should this user postgres's home directory be? I assume I should put a start
>up script for tcsh here? Should the user postgres have write
>permission tothis home directory? Additionally it seems silly to have the
>user postgres having the option to log on at start up similar to a regular
>user in addition to all of teh default directories like documemnts, music etc
>(as when a new user is created in the accounts panel of preferences).

I recommend using netinfo. The postgres user doesn't really need a home
directory (I might've used /usr/local/pgsql/) and if you have a UID/GID
of less than 500, they don't show up in the login window. postgres
does, however, need to have a shell set, or you can't su to it.

>2. When I was attempting to set up my postgres build on 10.2 I had some
>difficulty with the logfile. Where is this logfile writtem to? It seemed
>that the script couldn't write the logfile due to some permissions issue -
>is this a corect assumtion? That is, does the user postgres need to
>have permission to write to the directory where the logfile normally is
>placed (sorry so vague here, I've yet to try it out just yet on my new
>build)

The postgres user needs to be able to write to the directory, yes. Make
sure you are setting the logfile to the /usr/local/pgsql/ directory (or
wherever) by specifying either an absolute path or starting from that
directory.

>3. Should the user postgres also be in its own group?

Yes.

I've written a short installation procedure for installing on Panther at
http://www.visualdistortion.org/adium/quick_install.html (you can ignore
the bit about Adium, of course)