Re: selecting problems

From: Tomasz Myrta <jasiek(at)klaster(dot)net>
To: Shaun Watts <SWatts(at)computer-systems(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: selecting problems
Date: 2003-10-31 19:53:12
Lists: pgsql-sql

Dnia 2003-10-31 20:19, Użytkownik Shaun Watts napisał:
> What I am trying to do is select all the rows out of the categories
> table (see below) and select the sum of j_amount out of the judgment
> table. Right now it is only returning the categories that are in the
> judgment table. I want it to return those fields with the amounts out
> of the judgment table, but also the all the other categories from the
> categories table with 0 as there amount. Does anyone have a
> suggestion.
>
> select ca_code,ca_desc,sum(j_amount) as sum_amt,ca_dis_cycle
> from categories LEFT OUTER JOIN judgment ON
> (j_category=ca_code)
> where j_case_no='45698'
> and j_party_no=1
> group by ca_code,ca_desc,ca_dis_cycle
>
> Thanks,
> Shaun

This left join won't work. Where clause changes your left join into
inner one.

select ca_code,ca_desc,sum(j_amount) as sum_amt,ca_dis_cycle
from categories LEFT OUTER JOIN judgment ON
(j_category=ca_code and j_case_no='45698' and j_party_no=1)
group by ca_code,ca_desc,ca_dis_cycle

or

select ca_code,ca_desc,sum(j_amount) as sum_amt,ca_dis_cycle
from categories LEFT OUTER JOIN judgment ON (j_category=ca_code)
where (j_case_no='45698' and j_party_no=1) or j_category is null
group by ca_code,ca_desc,ca_dis_cycle

Probably you also need to change your sum(j_amount) into:
sum(case when j_amount is null then 0 else j_amount end)

Regards,
Tomasz Myrta