Re: Annotated release notes

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>, peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net, neilc(at)samurai(dot)com, chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au, tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, PostgreSQL-documentation <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Annotated release notes
Date: 2003-10-31 05:54:10
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/release.html#RELEASE-7-4
>
> I need people to check this and help me with the items marked 'bjm'. I
> am confused about the proper text for those sections.

> Allow polymorphic SQL functions (Joe)
> bjm ??

What isn't clear about this? Should/can we refer to related sections of
the manual?
http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/xfunc-sql.html#AEN28722
http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/extend-type-system.html#EXTEND-TYPES-POLYMORPHIC

> Allow user defined aggregates to use polymorphic functions (Joe)
> bjm ??

Same question. From this url:
http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/xaggr.html
see this paragraph:

Aggregate functions may use polymorphic state transition functions or
final functions, so that the same functions can be used to implement
multiple aggregates. See Section 33.2.1 for an explanation of
polymorphic functions. Going a step further, the aggregate function
itself may be specified with a polymorphic base type and state type,
allowing a single aggregate definition to serve for multiple input data
types. Here is an example of a polymorphic aggregate:

CREATE AGGREGATE array_accum (
sfunc = array_append,
basetype = anyelement,
stype = anyarray,