Re: Connnection to SSL enabled server

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: timothy(dot)r(dot)morley(at)kc(dot)frb(dot)org
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org, Jean-Michel POURE <jm(at)poure(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Connnection to SSL enabled server
Date: 2003-10-29 16:52:12
Lists: pgadmin-support

timothy(dot)r(dot)morley(at)kc(dot)frb(dot)org wrote:

> I am running PostgreSQL 7.3.4 server with SSL enabled. I have the
> server configured to only accept SSL connections from various hosts.
> I am using pgadmin3-1.1 on RedHat 9 and I can connect to my SSL
> enabled Pg server just fine. The information pane in pgadmin3 tells
> me I have an SSL connection to the server. I can open up the graphic
> query tool and type in my query. As soon as I click the 'Execute
> query' button pgadmin3 crashes. When I run pgadmin3 using gdb I get
> the following output from gdb after I click the 'Execute query' button:

> [Switching to Thread 1094126896 (LWP 4597)]
> 0x400b603f in CRYPTO_lock () from /lib/libcrypto.so.4
>
> I'm using the RedHat 9 rpm from the pgadmin site and have even tried
> using the nightly build from October 29, 2003 with the same result. I
> have another PostgreSQL 7.3.4 server that is not SSL enabled and I can
> use pgadmin3 just fine with that configuration.
>
> I built the SSL enabled server from source using openssl-0.9.7c
> source. I can connect(I do get an SSL connection) and work from my
> client machine using pgsql.
>
> Is there an issue with how I built the server or with openssl on
> RedHat 9 machines or the combination of SSL on the server and client I
> used?

Can you confirm that this crash happens only with ssl?
There might be a multithreading problem. While the pgAdmin3 main window
uses the main thread, the query tool uses a dedicated thread for query
execution.
I'm using open-ssl 0.9.7b (SuSE 8.1), no problem with a "requires SSL"
connection, I doubt it's a version problem. It might be necessary to
play a little with libraries to get it multithread proof.

Regards,
Andreas