Re: Open items

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Open items
Date: 2003-10-28 13:56:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Well the reason I brought it up was the rather interesting discussion
>> that Jan had today about Vacuum.
>> I was wondering if we were going to explore that before the 7.4 release?
>
> No, I am afraid we are way past time time for that kind of addition.

Couln't agree more.

We have absolutely no plan what kind of cache algorithm or strategy we
want as a replacement, what granularity of tuning options it might need
and what good defaults would be. This is the kind of stuff that looks
simple but needs a full development cycle like TOAST did.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #