Re: slow select

From: Shridhar Daithankar <shridhar_daithankar(at)myrealbox(dot)com>
To: Vivek Khera <khera(at)kcilink(dot)com>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: slow select
Date: 2003-10-27 06:32:42
Lists: pgsql-performance

Vivek Khera wrote:
> JB> Actually, what OS's can't use all idle ram for kernel cache? I
> JB> should note that in my performance docs ....
>
> FreeBSD. Limited by the value of "sysctl vfs.hibufspace" from what I
> understand. This value is set at boot based on available RAM and some
> other tuning parameters.

Actually I wanted to ask this question for long time. Can we have guidelines
about how to set effective cache size for various OSs?

Linux is pretty simple. Everything free is buffer cache. FreeBSD, not so
straightforward but there is a sysctl..

How about HP-UX, Solaris and AIX? Other BSDs? and most importantly windows?

That could add much value to the tuning guide. Isn't it?

Shridhar