Re: multi-backend psql

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca>
Cc: Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: multi-backend psql
Date: 2003-10-21 13:03:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Rod Taylor wrote:

> I'm sure the pgAdmin group likes that idea (they're probably tired of maintaining 4 different versions of
>queries for getting a list of tables). Any solution to make psql backward or forward compatible should go an additional step to assist other frontends as well.

While I can agree on the statements that frontends like backend support
functions, in the case of tables for pgAdmin3 helper functions/views
don't seem too helpful. pgAdmin3 will not only try to display all
supported backend versions (currently 7.3, 7.4) correctly, but also
enable/disable additional functionality. Having different queries for
different backends is just a small part of the game, and the easiest one
too. Hiding the backend differences behind views or functions wouldn't
help too much.

Regards,
Andreas