Re: multi-backend psql

From: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca>
Cc: "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>, Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: multi-backend psql
Date: 2003-10-21 03:15:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I suppose if all you want is backward compatibility which makes sense
> for pg_dump, but surely psql should be forward thinking.
>
> Normally it's old clients with new server, not the other way around --
> at least with big companies it seems easier to get a server upgraded
> than everyones desktop.
>
> Forward looking means pulling the available commands, queries, etc from
> the backend. It actually works quite well (submitted a patch quite a
> while ago) in all respects except string translation.

Hmmm...string translation really is the bugger, isn't it. I had only
planned to do backwards compatibility really...

It had occurred to me that we could move support for each version of the
backend into a shared lib.

eg. libpsql70.so, libpsql71.so, etc.

Then all we do is load the appropriate lib and call functions in it. To
support a newer version of postgres, you just need to drop in the latest
.so or something.

Chris