Re: [HACKERS] Mapping Oracle types to PostgreSQL

From: Bruno LEVEQUE <bruno(dot)leveque(at)net6d(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, Vincent Harcq <vha(at)audaxis(dot)com>, Jean-Paul ARGUDO <jpargudo(at)free(dot)fr>, jm(at)poure(dot)com
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Mapping Oracle types to PostgreSQL
Date: 2003-10-20 15:22:03
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

Robert Treat wrote:

>On Sat, 2003-10-18 at 09:11, Jean-Michel POURE wrote:
>

>>Dear Jean-Paul,
>>

>>>Please tell me if my experience can help you in any way, I'd be really
>>>glad in participating your project.
>>>

>>Thanks for your proposal, welcome in the team.
>>
>>In short, we plan to port Compiere to PostgreSQL and submit the changes back
>>to Compiere team. There is no evidence so far that Compiere will accept the
>>changes as their main developer sells Oracle licenses.
>>
>>At present, the team is:
>>- Vincent Harcq <vha(at)audaxis(dot)com> for the Java part or Compiere.
>>- Jean-Paul ARGUDO <jpargudo(at)free(dot)fr> and Jean-Michel Pouré <jm(at)poure(dot)com> for
>>the database migration.
>>

>>>I can offer public CVS, web, etc.. for the project if you want.
>>>

>>Thanks. During the week-end, I will set up a first web page and will contact
>>you back on Monday.
>>
>>In a first time, our goal could be to describe the port in details, so to
>>convince Compiere community to migrate to PostgreSQL. Without support from
>>the Compiere community, there can be no port...
>>

>by "community" do you means users or developers? there are certainly
>enough users interested in a postgresql version that i think it would be
>viable to fork it if the compiere developers aren't willing to
>cooperate. certainly would be more work, but if you could get a stable
>version I think it could be successful.
>
>Robert Treat

I'll be happy if I can help you. I test Compiere since june and I asked
compiere what to do in order to port compiere to postgres and never
receive answer. But I think they accept this solution because they have
an old version with postgres and they know somebody running Compiere
with another database (adabas ? DB2 ? I don't remember)

Bruno

--
Bruno LEVEQUE
System Engineer