Re: [uylug-com-intl] Re: [Fwd: Uruguay November 2003]

From: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Federico Gamio <federico(at)gamio(dot)net>
Cc: rodolfo(at)pilas(dot)biz, "OpenOffice(dot)org in Education Marketing List" <educ(at)marketing(dot)openoffice(dot)org>, "PostgreSQL Advocacy and Marketing List" <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Claudio Filho <filhocf(at)openoffice(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [uylug-com-intl] Re: [Fwd: Uruguay November 2003]
Date: 2003-10-20 09:40:18
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Hi Federico,

Pleased to meet you. :)

Federico Gamio wrote:

> Hi Justin,

<snip>
> We are just making the finals arregments, but we are a latin people, so
> there we left thing to the last minute.

Heh Heh Heh

So have we! It's very Australian too. ;->

>>It's entirely possible this is my fault. I'm just wondering what's
>>going on.
>
> No, we are in fault with you.
> You will be one of the most important person in our event, everybody
> want's to talk with you (well, about DB :)
> We are finishing your sponsor's support, and will be UNESCO
> (http://www.unesco.org)

> The problem with Unesco, is that they wan't to promote Free Software in
> Goverment and Education, and we are saying that PostgreSQL is the
> foundation to achive this goal.

Yes, PostgreSQL is definitely a large part of this, as is OpenOffice.org
(another group I help a lot).

> If you can participate in a forum with 3 o 4 more people and just talk
> about experiences in Goverment and Education proyects (that uses
> PostgreSQL) will be perfect for us.

Absolutely yes. Personally, I do as much these days with OpenOffice.org
too. If there are people who want to cover OpenOffice.org as well, then
I can be an effective way of getting the right information about this to
them as well. :)

> Besides that, you will have an specific conference to talk about
> PostgreSQL.

Excellent. :)

> I will be your personal contact, so anything you need, or any question,
> just send it to me.

Yes, I have a few basic/simple questions to do with the actual scheduling.

Rang both the "Embassy of Uruguay Chancery" and "Consulate-General Of
Uruguay" here in Australia, and both groups said I don't need a VISA to
enter Uruguay because of my Australian Passport. (It almost sounds too
easy).

For the booking of the actual flight to get to Uruguay itself, who does
that? Does UNESCO do that, do I do that, etc? I haven't done an
international flight like this before, so there are some areas of things
I have no idea about. ;->

Next thoughts, is it a good or bad idea to bring a laptop computer? Are
there any taxes payable for entering the country, etc? (I want to be
very, very prepared).

I'm also concered about the timing of this event and the event in
Brazil. Not really sure if I'll be able to get to Brasil, help out
there correctly, etc, as both events seem to be at the same time?

Any thoughts?

> I will arrange for you all the schedule and activities, so if you want
> to do something special, just tell me, we can arrange anything.

Thank you. I have _no idea_ about the options, though I just bought one
of those "Learn Spanish fast" CD packs and will be studying it intently
with all my spare time.

> Our country is very small, and so, our event is small too, our LUG have
> 60 members, so we make this event for fun, and we want that you enjoy
> this event spending good time with all of us.

Thank you. :)

> We have to know if you can talk about using PostgreSQL in Goverments and
> Education (just talk in a board with 3 more people, not a conference)
> And if you can send us the title and a brief descriptions of your
> conferences. We can arrange specials workshops, so you can talk to
> people thay really want to use DB :)

Ok. Will organise and arrange this and get it to you.

Would like to know if there is interest in OpenOffice.org as well,
because if so then I'll include good amounts of that as well.

:)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> Regards