Re: *sigh*

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: *sigh*
Date: 2003-10-19 17:00:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Greg Stark wrote:

>Thomas Zehetbauer <thomasz(at)hostmaster(dot)org> writes:
>

>>Also will the BUG which causes postgresql to execute a sequential scan
>>when using min()/max()/count() ever be fixed? min()/max() can be
>>rewritten as SELECT $column ORDER BY $column ASC/DESC LIMIT 1 but this
>>should be done by the database, NOT by the user!

I would add that this is not a bug as much as a feature request. count()
works. It may not be as feature
filled as we would like (e.g; it won't use an index) but it does work.

>Nobody is currently working on this or planning to work on this soon. So no,
>at least currently it appears this issue will not be changed. Postgresql is
>open source and this is the hackers mailing list. Feel free to contribute a
>patch.

Personally I think there are greater things that need to be patched
versus count(). As you can implement
procedures on your own to deliver faster counts.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

+1-503-222-2783 - jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com - http://www.commandprompt.com
Editor-N-Chief - PostgreSQl.Org - http://www.postgresql.org