Re: Mapping Oracle types to PostgreSQL types

From: Shridhar Daithankar <shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>
To: jm(at)poure(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Mapping Oracle types to PostgreSQL types
Date: 2003-10-17 13:39:38
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

Jean-Michel POURE wrote:

> Dear friends,
>
> I would like to port Compiere CRM from Oracle to PostgreSQL (and release it
> for free).
>
> At first I would like to convert the data schema. This is not difficult as
> Compiere is written using portable types like NUMBER (i,d) which can be
> replaced by NUMERIC (i,d), etc... A series of Search/Replace is sufficiant.
> There are other solutions in Contrib to connect to Oracle and export the data
> (Bruce). Don't blame me to search in another (silly) direction...

Rather than declaring numeric, create them as integer/float of appropriate size
and add appropriate constraints. Numeric can be slower for large data load w.r.t
native integers.

> The point here is that I would like to use the CREATE TYPE or CREATE DOMAIN
> syntax to map Oracle types to PostgreSQL types. Therefore I can say "Guys,
> Oracle is now mostly compatible with PostreSQL".

You can create some sql scripts which can natively migrate from oracle to
postgresql. Contrib could host them or gborg.

So what postgresql would say is, create a database and run the scripts and many
of the oracle migration gotchas will be automatically taken care of.

Including such features in core postgresql is rather hard sell to postgresql
developers. Especially when there is a rather simple workaround.

HTH

Shridhar