Re: postgres --help-config

From: Fernando Nasser <fnasser(at)redhat(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>, Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: postgres --help-config
Date: 2003-10-15 15:22:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:

(...)
> I guess iff someone needs raw with headers in the future, I guess we
> could add --help-config-raw-headers.

I don't mind if you make it always with the headers. We can easily
strip the first line when reading the file and people can easily strip
it piping the output through a filter before sorting it etc.

I am thinking that the headers would allow a output formatting utility
to do it in a way that is independent of the version, and avoid having
to run "pg_config --version" as well. As the values are all strings it
can blindly create a column for every header. The only fields that the
program need to know about (like name and group) are not likely to change.

No big deal though.

--
Fernando Nasser
Red Hat Canada Ltd. E-Mail: fnasser(at)redhat(dot)com