Re: fix for strict-alias warnings

From: Manfred Spraul <manfred(at)colorfullife(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, "Patches (PostgreSQL)" <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: fix for strict-alias warnings
Date: 2003-10-14 21:01:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Tom Lane wrote:

>Manfred Spraul <manfred(at)colorfullife(dot)com> writes:
>

>>After some massaging, I've succeeded in generating bad code using a
>>slightly modified MemSetAligned macro (parameters -O2
>>-fstrict-aliasing): gcc pipelined the x*x around the memset.
>>

>As I already explained, we do not care about the MemSetAligned case.
>Is gcc 3.3 smart enough to optimize away the pointer alignment test
>in the full macro?

3.2 optimizes away the pointer alignment test, but then doesn't pipeline
the "x*x" calculation. It might be due to a known (and now fixed) bug in
gcc where is lost track of constants, and thus didn't succeed in
optimizing long calculations.

I don't have gcc 3.3 installed, but IMHO it would be insane to leave
strict alias analysis enabled - writing to *(int32*)addr violates the
alias rules, the bad code generated with MemSetAligned proved that.
Is someone around with 3.3 who could test MemSet?

--
Manfred