Re: [INTERFACES] more on undefined reference to 'pg_detoast_datum'

From: "D(dot) Stimits" <stimits(at)comcast(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] more on undefined reference to 'pg_detoast_datum'
Date: 2003-10-14 01:48:38
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-interfaces

Tom Lane wrote:

> "D. Stimits" writes:
>
> >... My question is, where the heck is
> >CurrentMemoryContext and MemoryContextAlloc provided as an
> >implementation which I can link with?
>

> They're inside the backend, and you don't --- you are not trying to
> build a standalone executable with no unresolved symbols, but a shared
> library that can be successfully loaded into the backend. It's okay
> for such a library to have unresolved references to symbols that will be
> resolved at load time.
>
> regards, tom lane

Thanks to all that answered this. I found the problem, and it was
totally unexpected. There were some leftover Makefile lines that were
used to build a standalone module loader test unit, that test unit does
not implement palloc. The actual dynamic loadable module was in fact
working right, but the make was dying early when it so much as
referenced the old module loader code (a loader used to test/regress
functions before trying it on a server). I couldn't believe my eyes when
I saw those old lines in there.

D. Stimits