Re: newlines won't display in browser

From: Robby Russell <rrussell(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: newlines won't display in browser
Date: 2003-10-13 14:35:58
Lists: pgsql-php

Michael Hanna wrote:
> Hi,
>
> hi, how do you put a newline in a TEXT data type?
>
> when inputting from a form into a textarea box..the return key creates a
> newline, which is reflected in psql monitor but not when displaying the
> page with php
>
> when I try inputting \n in the browser textarea form, they appear in the
> webpage for some reason, in psql monitor, they appear as "\n" but also
> make a newline
>
> Michael

I'd suggest doing this in your postgresql statement. Makes it easy when
you use views and don't want to use php functions everywhere to do the
task that postgresql can do for you.

Perhaps plphp ? (since you know php)

https://www.commandprompt.com/entry.lxp?lxpe=294

# Here is an example plphp function.

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION line_breaks(text) RETURNS text AS '

$txt = str_replace("\n","<br>\n",$arg0);

if ($txt) {

return $txt;

}

else {

return $arg0;

}

' LANGUAGE 'plphp';

Then on a select, I'd run

SELECT id, line_breaks(textbox_field) as textbox_field FROM table;

It would then replace all instances of \n with <br>\n.

Cheers,

Robby

--
Robby Russell, | Sr. Administrator / Lead Programmer
Command Prompt, Inc. | http://www.commandprompt.com