Re: Keep-alive?

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: "Adam H(dot) Pendleton" <fmonkey(at)fmonkey(dot)net>
Cc: mark(at)nsa(dot)co(dot)il, 'Dave Page' <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Keep-alive?
Date: 2003-10-08 14:33:19
Lists: pgadmin-support

Adam H. Pendleton wrote:

> Network problems like this are usually better solved somewhere other
> than the application, since their impact usually affects more than
> just one application.

I totally agree on that. Additionally, when we implement some kind of
reconnect we must be quite careful about it, so that a connection that's
really terminated doesn't cause a bunch of unnecessary and unwanted
retries (resulting in 10 minutes sitting in front of your machine,
waiting for it to recover).

I'd rather like to leave this to the network level. If the link is
broken, there must be a reason for this: either it's intentionally, or
it's faulty. Both ways need review.

Regards,
Andreas