Re: Getting "connectby" installed

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: Tim Wright <postgresql(at)icehawk(dot)freeserve(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: Nabil Sayegh <postgresql(at)e-trolley(dot)de>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Getting "connectby" installed
Date: 2003-10-07 04:17:39
Lists: pgsql-novice

Tim Wright wrote:
> Looks like the right thing - "psql --version" on my setup reports
> version 7.3.2. I'll have a play around this evening when I get in -
> many thanks for your help!

There should be an RPM something like
postgresql-contrib-7.3.2-1PGDG.1 installed. If not, I don't know if it
will work on Mandrake or not, but maybe you can rebuild from the source RPM:
ftp://ftp8.us.postgresql.org/pub/pgsql/binary/v7.3.2/RPMS/SRPMS/
(BTW, you probably ought to upgrade to 7.3.4)

Once the contrib RPM is installed, you ought to be able to find
tablefunc.sql somewhere. Assuming rpm on Mandrake is similar to Red Hat,
try:
rpm -ql postgresql-contrib | grep tablefunc.sql

Then direct that file into a database, e.g.:

$ createdb tablefunc
CREATE DATABASE
$ psql tablefunc < /usr/share/pgsql/contrib/tablefunc.sql
SET
SET
CREATE FUNCTION
CREATE TYPE
CREATE TYPE
CREATE TYPE
CREATE FUNCTION
CREATE FUNCTION
CREATE FUNCTION
CREATE FUNCTION
CREATE FUNCTION
CREATE FUNCTION
CREATE FUNCTION

At this point, database "tablefunc" should have connectby() installed
and ready to go.

HTH,

Joe