Re: Server recommendations

From: Shridhar Daithankar <shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>
To: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Server recommendations
Date: 2003-10-03 15:37:43
Lists: pgsql-general

Christopher Browne wrote:

> Oops! gearond(at)fireserve(dot)net (Dennis Gearon) was seen spray-painting on a wall:
>
>>Anyone got links to good db server boxes, not rackmount though?
>>
>>Include any for HP, Gateway, etc.
>

> It's the components that matter moreso than the sticker on the front
> of the box.
>
> Presently, I have a Dell 6600 PowerEdge (I think that's the model)
> named "hathi" (apparently that's Hindi for "elephant") under my desk;
> 4 Pentium IV's, 12 72GB drives, 8GB RAM, and one of those MegaRAID
> controllers that has been discussed lately. It's being used for "data
> warehouse" stuff, but I suspect it would make a better TP server than
> anything else we've got locally.

Heh.. "hathi" is quite right description for that..:-)

From what I read on postgresql lists, it seems that opteron based machines are
doing quite a good job as database server with right kind of disk. You could
look at any such machine for database server..

Check this..

http://www.polywell.com/us/rackservers/poly1u2c.asp
http://www.opteronics.com/opteron-servers.htm

IMO they could be better machine for databases. Get a 64 bit linux kernel and
run 32 bit postgresql on it. Should work like a charm..

HTH

Shridhar