Re: count(*) slow on large tables

From: Shridhar Daithankar <shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>
To: Dror Matalon <dror(at)zapatec(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: count(*) slow on large tables
Date: 2003-10-03 06:29:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-performance

Dror Matalon wrote:

> I smell a religious war in the aii:-).
> Can you go several days in a row without doing select count(*) on any
> of your tables?
>
> I suspect that this is somewhat a domain specific issue. In some areas
> you don't need to know the total number of rows in your tables, in
> others you do.

If I were you, I would have an autovacuum daemon running and rather than doing
select count(*), I would look at stats generated by vacuums. They give
approximate number of tuples and it should be good enough it is accurate within
a percent.

Just another approach of achieving same thing.. Don't be religious about running
a qeury from SQL prompt. That's it..

Shridhar