Re: count(*) slow on large tables

From: "Gregory S(dot) Williamson" <gsw(at)globexplorer(dot)com>
To: "Dror Matalon" <dror(at)zapatec(dot)com>, <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: count(*) slow on large tables
Date: 2003-10-03 06:22:46
Lists: pgsql-performance

I can tell you that this is one of the first thing applications' programmers and IT managers notice. It can slightly tarnish postgres' image when it takes it many long seconds to do what other databases can do in a snap. The "whys and wherefores" can be hard to get across once they see the comparative numbers.

When I use Informix "dbaccess" it has a "status" which will tell me the row count of a table virtually instantly -- it can be locked out by a user with an exclusive lock so its not entirely independant of the table (like a stored value in one of the system catalog tables).

This is not to say Informix is "right" and Postgres is "wrong" ... but it is something that virtually any newcomer will run into head long, with resulting bruises and contusions, not to mention confusion.

At the very least this needs to be VERY clearly explained right up front, along with some of the possible work-arounds, depending on what one is really after with this info.

Greg Williamson
DBA
GlobeXplorer LLC