Thoughts on maintaining 7.3

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Thoughts on maintaining 7.3
Date: 2003-09-30 16:37:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello,

With the recent stint of pg_upgrade statements and the impending
release of 7.4 what
do people think about having a dedicated maintenance team for 7.3? 7.3
is a pretty
solid release and I think people will be hard pressed to upgrade to 7.4.
Of course
a lot of people will, but I have customer that are just now upgrading to
7.3 because
of legacy application and migratory issues.

Anyway I was considering a similar situation to how Linux works where
their is a
maintainer for each release... Heck even Linux 2.0 still released until
recently.

Of course the theory being that we backport "some" features and fix
any bugs that
we find?

What are people's thoughts on this?

SIncerley,

Joshua Drake

Postgresql support, programming, shared hosting and dedicated hosting.
+1-503-222-2783 - jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com - http://www.commandprompt.com
The most reliable support for the most reliable Open Source database.