Re: [ADMIN] postgres 6.2 vacuum

From: Shridhar Daithankar <shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] postgres 6.2 vacuum
Date: 2003-09-26 06:29:58
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-hackers

Hornyak Laszlo wrote:

> I think it is not that simple. How should I explain the company leaders
> why I must stop the system. It may risk their bussiness success too. I can
> tell them that the new db is more stable, but until the old one does the
> job, it is still acceptable for them (it served the system for 5-6 years
> or so). Once it crashes, it is a good reason to do the move.

Well, I am sure there are data corruption bugs fixed between 6.2 and current CVS
head which would count as large impact in terms of numbers and severity.

If your client business depends upon it, that is in fact a better reason to
upgrade. If postgresql developers tells you to upgrade, that does count as
recommendation.

Its not like oracle upgrade where you have to move the OS, hardware and spend a
large amount of money. The impact of migration is restricted to downtime of
servers and cleaning up any applications that depend upon any incorrect
behaviour supported in past.

IMO you should move in all scenarios.

Shridhar