Re: libpq problem

From: Greg Spiegelberg <gspiegelberg(at)cranel(dot)com>
To: Kris Kiger <kris(at)musicrebellion(dot)com>
Cc: Postgres Admin List <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: libpq problem
Date: 2003-09-22 16:35:14
Lists: pgsql-admin

Kris,

There are a variety of answers for a variety of operating systems.

On Linux add the PostgreSQL lib directory to /etc/ld.so.conf and run
"ldconfig" as root or add the lib directory to your LD_LIBRARY_PATH
environment variable. I prefer the 1st fix.

On Solaris 8 or later run as root "crle -u -l /path/to/pgsql/lib" which
is the same as the ldconfig option in Linux. Alternatively, use the
same LD_LIBRARY_PATH solution as above which, by the way, this will
work in HP-UX and AIX though using different environment variables
LIBPATH and SHLIB_PATH, respectively.

Greg

Kris Kiger wrote:
> I have written a variation of one of the libpq C functions provided with
> postgres. It compiles just fine, but when I try to execute the program
> it reports the following error:
>
> ./a.out: error while loading shared libraries: libpq.so.3: cannot open
>
> I have checked my system and the libpq.so.3 exists and all of its
> dependancies are linked. Just curious if anyone has any ideas. Thanks
>
> Kris

Greg Spiegelberg
Sr. Product Development Engineer
Cranel, Incorporated.