Re: object creation date

From: Terry Hampton <thampton(at)limacorp(dot)com>
To: marie(dot)tuite(at)edisonaffiliates(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: object creation date
Date: 2003-09-12 18:45:55
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello Marie,

In most of my tables, I have the same
two columns:

lastupdate TIMESTAMP not null default
('now'::text)::timestamp(8),
createdate TIMESTAMP not null default
('now'::text)::timestamp(8)

"createdate" is only written once, of course.
and populates automatically.

I have created a trigger to automaticaly change
"lastupdate" every time the record is updated.

I re-read your question however - and you mention
*table* creation date. Do you have tables
that are created dynamically ? Could you provide
a bit more detail ? How is table creation
date useful for you ?

Terry