Re: Stats Collector Error 7.4beta1 and 7.4beta2

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Kurt Roeckx <Q(at)ping(dot)be>, Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>, akavan(at)cox(dot)net, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Stats Collector Error 7.4beta1 and 7.4beta2
Date: 2003-09-05 13:35:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Redhat 7.1 says

The file descriptor sockfd must refer to a socket. If the
socket is of type SOCK_DGRAM then the serv_addr address is
the address to which datagrams are sent by default, and
the only address from which datagrams are received. If

Looks like the test is obsolete. Any objections to remove it? Do people
agree that it's a bugfix that can go into 7.4?

Jan

Tom Lane wrote:

> Kurt Roeckx <Q(at)ping(dot)be> writes:
>> Then it connects to itself. I don't get the logic behind that
>> howver.
>
> At least on HPUX, the connect(2) man page saith
>
> If the socket is of type SOCK_DGRAM, connect() specifies the peer
> address to which messages are to be sent, and the call returns
> immediately. Furthermore, this socket can only receive messages sent
> from this address.
>
> The "furthermore" is what we are after.
>
> regards, tom lane

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #