Re: Is it a memory leak in PostgreSQL 7.4beta?

From: Mark Kirkwood <markir(at)paradise(dot)net(dot)nz>
To: Hans-Jürgen Schönig <hs(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, eg(at)cybertec(dot)at
Subject: Re: Is it a memory leak in PostgreSQL 7.4beta?
Date: 2003-09-04 09:12:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hans,

You are right about the startup memory - here is the top line for a few
seconds after startup :

PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+
COMMAND
10116 postgres 15 0 3816 3816 3180 R 33.8 1.0 0:01.03 postmaster

seems that VIRT, RES, SHR all get the increase counted against them as
time goes on (as Tom suggested, I guess its to do with how top does its
accounting on this platform).