Re: is linux ready for databases ? (Ziff Davis article

From: Mike Mascari <mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com>
To: "Gregory S(dot) Williamson" <gsw(at)globexplorer(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: is linux ready for databases ? (Ziff Davis article
Date: 2003-08-26 13:47:44
Lists: pgsql-general

Gregory S. Williamson wrote:

> One of our sysads sent this link ... wondering if there
> is any comment on it from the world of actual users
> of linux and a database.
>
> <http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1738&ncid=738&e=9&u=/zd/20030825/tc_zd/55311>

I found the following paragraph humorous:

"A key component that needs further development is the threading model
used by the system kernel, Binstock said. Multithreading is crucial to
running an enterprise database. Without it, a database would have to
handle every data query as it comes in, keeping all other queries
waiting in queue, since the system would be incapable of parallel
processing."

Mike Mascari
mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com